Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Leadership Missionary

I think I am called to be a leadership missionary.

God has gifted me as a leader and teacher. I have a burning passion for the importance of leadership in ministry, and therefore of leadership development. I get the most thrill out of being a part of "a-ha" moments when people gain a new leadership awareness, understanding, or skill.

Part of me would love to be part of a high-performing team or organization where top-level leadership is the norm. However, I have come to realize that my calling is to work with the leaders no one has heard of (at least not yet): lay leaders, emerging/young leaders, and paid staff who may never be leadership "superstars" but are serving faithfully in their context and want to learn how to be more effective.

I hear Jesus' words applied to my unique vocation: the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Think of the kingdom impact if we developed and released untapped leadership potential! I am called to bring the "gospel" of leadership to these individuals and organizations.

Sometimes, the work can be discouraging. Some receive the message gladly, others need more convincing. Growth takes time -- years, not days -- and a lot of energy. While I sometimes write and speak for large audiences, the majority of my work takes place in life-on-life conversations, relationships and ministry, one leader at a time.

It can also be lonely. Last summer, I was in Denver for a wedding and got to spend time with a number of great ministry leaders. I felt like a dry sponge, soaking up the interaction. I felt like I was among "my people," people who "got" me and shared the same understanding and passion. While I have many relationships here, I have learned to not place the burden of support on those I am serving, and to find support and community outside of my ministry, even out of my city.

Yes, I am a leadership missionary. My personal mission is "to identify, develop, and encourage ministry leaders." It's often a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

I'm glad that somebody gets to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment